Tuesday, January 26, 2010

The Ghostly Tree

I'm sorting through boxes, rearranging things, and came across a whole notebook full of negatives. These were from the days before I was developing my own slide film.

I was so excited to find the negative of a photo that I had lost a long time ago. (it was stolen, which I guess I should consider a compliment).

The night before, we had a hard driving rain, coming in off of the lake, and it was so cold, it froze the water on everything, but sideways! When I awoke and saw what had happened, I didn't want to do anything but go out and take some photos. .but I had to go to work. 

All morning long, I kept watching the thermometer, and hoping that it stayed overcast. And luck was with me! During my lunch, I slipped and slid back down to one of our beaches that is below where I lived, and I spent a long lunch taking photo after photo.

But this remains my favorite because of the mood that I felt when capturing it on film.  I was the only one stupid brave enough to venture down there, and while the wind had died down from the night before, there was still a breeze, which was whistling through the frozen branches, making it feel very lonely, very spooky. 


This ice clad tree made me think of a ghost ship's mast, with it's tattered sails still clinging to it, having risen from the water, driven by the storm. What do you think of when you look at it?





10 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh--that should really be a print sold at Ikea--think about it--seriously!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is an amazing picture!! Looks like torn cloth hanging from the branches.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is just the coolest picture I have EVER seen! Should ever sell prints, please let me know!
    I see the mast with the sail, but I also see a spirit - of an antlered man, forlorn and haunting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can see why someone ran off with that!! Absolutely beautiful photo, makes me feel magically cold. :)

    Thanks so much for sharing.

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful. I thought of the Winter Hag.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow - this really is haunting! It reminds me of those hanging-moss covered trees from the deep south! So glad you found this!

    ReplyDelete
  7. what a cool picture ans I think it looks like a wizard.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just stopped by to thank you for becoming a follower of my blog! I am totally blown away by that photo! I agree with all the above comments! So haunting...if you ever do make/sell prints please let me know too!
    Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  9. To me it looks like the horned god with his hand outstretched towards someone standing in front of him. This is an incredible picture!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so very much for stopping by! I love the company, and hope that you will come back again!